Monday, February 6, 2017

Is Political Correctness to Blame for All of This Anger?

Recently, I had a friend send me a post about the Kellyanne Conway, Bowling Green "massacre" flap. There were comments from Trump supporters and detractors. Both sides agreed her remarks were misguided and stupid, but a Facebook argument ensued and people's feelings got hurt. I was astonished at how both sides are still so angry at each other that they fight even when they agree. What the hell is going on with our country?

One of the phrases that kept coming up during the election was politically incorrect. A lot of folks (mostly Republicans) felt like they have been restricted in expressing themselves by the politically correct movement. Borderline racist, sexist and insulting comments started flowing by presidential candidates and their supporters. This prompted anger and hurt feelings which ignited verbal and physical fights.

I am sure both sides are pointing the finger at each other over this. Truth is, we are all to blame for this. First, we allow our feelings to get hurt too easily. It feels like my generation set off the firestorm of everyone "getting a trophy." Whether we deserve it or not, we think the world owes us something. When someone tells us we can't have it or we lose something, we lose our minds.

Second, we have turned political incorrectness into just being rude and insensitive. No matter what you say, there is always a method of saying it without insulting someone. I try to be as upfront with people as possible and I can do that without hurting someone's feelings. It takes a concentrated effort, but it's pretty easy if you talk to everyone with respect.

In October, I will be attending my 30th year class reunion. Truth be told, there is a small part of me that is not looking forward to it because of the political bickering. Some of my Republican classmates are no longer on my Facebook friends list because of the division created by politics. It is a damn shame that people who have known each other since they were kids, cannot find a way to express themselves honestly but considerately.

These conversations have filtered down into my old high school over the students deciding to have a "white trash" theme at a basketball game against a local rival. I was amazed at the exchange that occurred between students and adults about the issue. If having a "white trash" night is okay this week, will a "project chick" day or a "chollo" night be acceptable next week? A large number of the high school students as well as the parents found nothing wrong it.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm tired of all the anger that exists in this country. We have some issues that need to be worked out, but it needs to be done without all of the rocks being thrown. The name-calling and mud-slinging is not political incorrectness. It is just being rude and insensitive. You can disagree with someone without calling them an idiot or stupid.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see that something good came out of that mess. It appears to me that the Republicans are so determined to prove that they are stronger, don't cry, and don't need a pacifier that they are going too far the other way. I think the DeVos appointment is a prime example. They are so determined to flex their political muscle that they are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. It's almost as if they want to punish Democrats for electing Obama who just so happened to be a great President. That's the easy part for me to see, but I know that Democrats are not blameless. I have seen some comments by Democrats that were uncalled for. I try to not insult anyone. I do my best to not let it get personal. My biggest fault in political conversations, is that I have this strong desire to get people to see that there can be two answers to one question. But regardless of any of this it will take both sides to let it go in order for us to unite again. I hope it doesn't take more time than we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tired of seeing all of these memes that are just created to insult the other side.

      Delete